Friday, July 24, 2015

Charcoal Portrait Drawing, Male Model


'Sight's Set'
11x14 Inch Charcoal

Sold!

When I decided on drawing this portrait in particular I asked myself if I really knew how to draw hair. A challenging task to accomplish when faced with a blank sheet of strathmore paper before me. Since part of the head is cropped I knew I needed to really evaluate how I was going to start, the thought of it was quite daunting! I had to think of his hair more as a roman sculpture of sorts, rather than individual hairs so that I didn't overwhelm myself by thinking of the end result too early. Once I blocked in the darkest parts and left the lightest parts untouched I was able to finally start thinking of detail and the way stands of hairs fell over the undulating forms of other clumps of hair.

1 comment:

  1. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete