Sunday, August 3, 2008

Self Portrait Close Up

Rita Foster
I believe that drawing self portraits are a great way to practice portraying the true likeness of a person through an art piece. It has been a few years since I've done a self portrait and also since I have drawn strictly on white paper with charcoal. I usually like to draw on toned paper with white chalk as well but I think it's important for me to work with different papers and medium to avoid becoming too stagnant and repetitive as an artist. I added my hand into the drawing because I feel it adds interest.

12X16.5 Inch
Charcoal on white charcoal paper

12 comments:

  1. This piece is very good work, IMO.

    You have talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. self portraits are so.. fraught with emotion/ego and all that - so .. good one you! it has a bit of a fish-eye/wide angle lens feel ( head to hand relationships).. did you draw from a photo ? ps my mom LOVEs your cat paintings ;-)

    -kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was actually drawn from a photo, I have yet to draw from a mirror and sit still for hours on end. That will be the true test.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure I would want to draw myself... Yikes! Great job..

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have excellent drawing skills, which I hugely admire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i will attempt one here soon ( from life/mirror).. you have inspired me! off to a figure painting workshop in santa fe ( by Juliette Aristides) next week.. hopefully new stuff to post upon return! keep up the great work Rita! - k

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see you portrait Kevin! I had never heard of Juliette Aristides so I googled her and wow great stuff. Let me know how her workshop was, wish I could go too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very good. i thought it was done from a mirror

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rita
    Congratulations. Yor artwork is very beautiful. You are a great artist.
    PArabéns. Tua arte é muito linda. Você é uma grande artista.

    Márcio Rocha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Marcio you are so very kind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is my favorite of your works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this one. Your work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete