Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Carl Martin



I used black and white charcoal on this 19X20 inch portrait of my grandfather, the late Carl Raymond Martin, an artist who first inspired me as a child. Although He passed on nearly 22 years ago I can still remember him teaching me things about art. Once, he placed a few droplets of brown ink onto a piece of paper creating a small puddle and then he handed me a red coffee straw. He demonstrated blowing that puddle of ink across the paper with the red straw in various directions, creating a design that resembled much like that of a tree. I was so excited I had to show all my friends.
















If you'd like to view his art simply click here http://carlraymondmartin.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. Rita,

    I recently purchased a portrait at a shop in San Juan Batista. I just loved it. The painting was of a young girl, maybe 3 or 4 years of age, and was on a thin piece of wood. The painter signed "Carl Raymond Martin" at the bottom. I was curious to determine who he was and who the young girl was. I googled his name and added "painting" as an additional search criteria. Your site, with a reference to your grandfather, was the only hit. I am curious if your grandfather might be the painter and who the young girl might be -- maybe his granddaughter (aka---YOU???). The painting was wrapped in a piece of plastic and had a sticker on it that said "Carl R. Martin, LA" so unknown if that would help you.

    Let me know if it might be from your grandfather and we can go from there.

    My email is rjmapboy@msn.com.

    Thanks,

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAS YOUR GRANDFATHER AN ARTIST

    I HAVE CHARCOAL DRAWING OF MY FATHER DONE DURING WWII, ARTIST WAS CARL RAYMOND MARTIN

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes my grandfather was an artist as well and he was a photographer/artist in the war. I would really like to see a picture of the drawing, I am VERY interested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an AMAZINGLY beautiful portrait!! I drooled. You've inspired me to get back to doing more portraits again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! You should definitely get back at it I see that you like the gray paper as well. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete